Call for Entries August 2021
August 2021 Call for Entries & Dog Days of Summer
The juried shows are a focal point of all Art Works’ openings. While there is no theme this month we are awarding a special prize for “Best Dog Entry”. We are having our annual Dog Days of Summer fundraiser to help a local Animal Shelter (FURS) on opening night. You can submit any medium (paintings, photography, sculpture, jewelry, pottery, mixed media, anything goes). However the work must be original (by you) and not a print of original work. The show is juried and there are cash prices for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. The show is open to all artists. This exhibit will be in the main gallery at Art Works. Call for entries is July 18, 2021 through August 18, 2021. Submit your entries through our online form.
Artists will be notified by August 19th of accepted or declined entries. You may submit up to 3 entries. The deadline for submissions is August 18th at noon. Since we are on a tight schedule to review the submissions and notify everyone, we are unable to accept entries after the deadline. We cannot accept artwork dropped off at the gallery for review.
About the exhibit:
- Any artists from anywhere may enter this art exhibit.
- Each artist may enter up to 3 pieces of their artwork and upload images for us to review.
- There is no theme however a special category and prize will be award for “Best Dog Entry”.
- This exhibit will be juried by an art professional.
Entry Fees and Commissions:
- The fee for each entry is $7 for Art Works Gallery members and Art Works studio artist, $10 for non-members.
- If you would like to join the gallery, the cost is $36. Then your entries are $7 each. Learn more about being a gallery member.
- There will be cash prizes.
- We will take a 35% commission on any sales of artwork that is on display in the gallery.
- Artwork must be framed with these exceptions: canvases that are wrapped and finished (no staples showing) and photography that is printed on metal or foam-core. However, photography on metal or foam-core need to have a mechanism on the back so that the photograph can be hung. We recommend simple black frames.
- Artwork must be wired to hang. Wires must not show above the artwork when hung.
- Sculptures and three-dimensional artwork are allowed.
- Submit 2 images for review, one of the artwork, and one in the frame (if framed). Please submit a good quality image of the artwork. Size limitation is 1 MB. If you need to compress your image there are many free tools on the internet to make images smaller.
- If your artwork framing includes a mat, the mat must be clean.
- The back of the artwork must be neat. Do not use masking tape or duct tape on the back of the frame.
- We will post a list of all accepted entries on our website (see dates below)
- Any accepted entries can be delivered to the gallery (see dates below).
- Artwork that is accepted and delivered to the gallery will hang in the gallery until the end of the exhibit. See the date below. Any unsold artwork must be picked up by the artist (see dates below).
Out of Town Accepted Entries
- If you do not live in the Richmond area and are unable to deliver your artwork to the gallery, your work will be displayed on the website but will not be for sale as we will not be in possession of the artwork.
The Reception, Videos, and Promotions
- We will host a reception on August 27, 2021, from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- We will produce a short video of the award-winning entries.
- We will advertise the exhibit through social media to drive traffic to our website and the exhibit page.
- August 18, noon – Submission deadline. Do not wait until the last minute to submit your artwork. The form will not be available at 12:01 p.m. on 8/18/2021.
- August 19 – We will notify you of all accepted entries by posting a list on our website and we will send you an email with the link.
- August 20, 21, 22 – Drop-off your accepted artwork at the gallery
- August 27 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Opening reception at Art Works Gallery
- September 17 – Show ends
- September 17, 18. 19 – Pick up any unsold artwork.
A few final things
- Artists can expect a check for any items we sell on the 15th of the month after the date of the sale. (e.g. For an item sold on August 1st we will send you a check on September 15th .)
- The artist by submitting their artwork gives permission to us to display the artwork on our website, Facebook, and other social media and will allow the use of your artwork for promotional purposes for the exhibit.
- Artwork left in the gallery for 90 days, will be donated to a nonprofit organization for their fundraisers.
- Art Works, Inc. takes every precaution to protect and secure the items submitted. Art Works, Inc. does not insure the items against loss, damage, or theft. By submitting your artwork and having it on display in the gallery, you agree to hold Art Works, Inc. harmless and to indemnify Art Works, Inc. against all claims resulting from losses.
When dropping off or picking up your artwork, you can park in the loading-zone in front of Art Works building at Hull and 4th Street. Put your emergency flashers on and please quickly unload your artwork, so that other artists may use the loading area.