Call for Entries January 2021
Photographers get an opportunity to showcase their signature photographs in this juried show. Photography of all types including traditional, digital, manipulated and photographic mixed-media are allowed. This exhibit will be juried Jeffrey Allison.
The accepted entries can be viewed on this link: Simply Photography 2021 Catalog
Submit your artwork in the juried photography show using our online form. Only photography is considered for this exhibit.
About the exhibit:
- Any artists from anywhere may enter this art exhibit.
- Each artist may enter up to 3 pieces of their photography and upload images of the artwork.
- There is no theme.
- Only photography will be considered and includes: traditional, digital, manipulated and photographic mixed-media.
- This exhibit will be juried by a professional
Entry Fees and Commissions:
- The fee for each entry is $7 for Art Works Gallery members, $10 for non-members.
- If you would like to join the gallery, the cost is $36. Then your entries are $7 each. Learn more about being a gallery member.
- There will be cash prizes.
- We will take a 35% commission on any sales of artwork that is on display in the gallery.
- Artwork must be framed with the exception of photography on metal or foam-core. However, these formats need to have a mechanism on the back so that the photograph can be hung. All other photographs must be framed. We recommend simple black frames.
- Artwork must be wired to hang.
- Submit 2 images for review, one of the artwork, and one in the frame (if framed). Please submit a good quality image of the artwork.
- If your artwork framing includes a mat, the mat must be clean.
- The back of the artwork must be neat. Do not use masking tape or duct tape on the back of the frame.
- We will post a list of all accepted entries on our website (see dates below)
- Any accepted entries can be delivered to the gallery (see dates below). Due to the Coronavirus, we are managing the number of people in the gallery at any given time and ask that you select a date and time that you will deliver your artwork. We will provide you with a link to a site to select a day/time slot.
- Artwork that is accepted and delivered to the gallery will hang in the gallery until the end of the exhibit. See the date below. Any unsold artwork must be picked up by the artist (see dates below).
Out of Town Accepted Entries
- If you do not live in the Richmond area and are unable to deliver your artwork to the gallery, your work will be displayed on the website but will not be for sale as we will not be in possession of the artwork.
The Reception, Videos, and Promotions
- We will host a reception on January 22, 2021, from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. Due to the Coronavirus and restrictions on gatherings, attendance will be limited. Guests must preregister. We will provide a method to register on the home page of our website.
- We will produce a short video of the award-winning entries.
- We will advertise the exhibit through social media to drive traffic to our website and the exhibit page.
- January 13, 2021 noon – Submission deadline
- January 14, 2021 – We will notify you of all accepted entries by posting a list on our website and we will send you an email with the link.
- January 15, 16, 17 – Drop-off your accepted artwork at the gallery
- January 22, 2021, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Opening reception at Art Works Gallery
- February 19, 2021 – Show ends
- February 19, 20 – Pick up any unsold artwork.
About the Juror
Jeffrey Allison is the Paul Mellon Collection educator at VMFA and a professional photographer. He holds a BA in photography and film from Virginia Intermont College and an MFA in photography from VCU.
A few final things
- Artists can expect a check for any items we sell on the 15th of the month after the date of the sale. (e.g. For an item sold on February 1st, we will send you a check on March 15, 2021.)
- The artist by submitting their artwork gives permission to us to display the artwork on our website, Facebook, and other social media and will allow the use of your artwork for promotional purposes for the exhibit.
- Artwork left in the gallery for 90 days, will be donated to a nonprofit organization for their fundraisers.
- Art Works, Inc. takes every precaution to protect and secure the items submitted. Art Works, Inc. does not insure the items against loss, damage, or theft. By submitting your artwork and having it on display in the gallery, you agree to hold Art Works, Inc. harmless and to indemnify Art Works, Inc. against all claims resulting from losses.
More questions? Click here for more information.
Note: Photograph above is by Jude-Dizon award winner in 2020 Simply Photography Show.
When dropping off or picking up your artwork, you can park in the loading-zone in front of Art Works building at Hull and 4th Street. Put your emergency flashers on and please quickly unload your artwork, so that other artists may use the loading area.
Other parking is located at Stockton Street (see map below). Look for Art Works Reserved signs in the lot. GPS Address is 500 Stockton Street, Richmond, VA 23224.