Call for Entries – Midsummer Dream
What’s happening this summer? Is it a dream? No, it’s real and times are changing. The need for change has been long overdue. This exhibit we are asking you to record history, past, present, and project into the future. Our All Media Exhibit in June has a theme, Midsummer Dream: Where I’ve Been, Where I Am, Where I’m Going.
For this exhibit, submit work that portrays summers of the past, present, and future. Think about:
Past: Where I’ve been.
Present 2020: Where I am.
Future: Where I’m going
About the exhibit:
- Any artists from anywhere may enter this art exhibit.
- Each artist may enter up to 3 pieces of their original artwork and upload images of the artwork.
- Sorry, no prints of original artwork are accepted.
- The theme focuses on summertime. Think about past, present, and future adventures, activities, and events.
- All mediums are permitted including but not limited to: photography, sculpture, mixed media, painting, drawing, ceramics, digital art, jewelry.
- This exhibit will be juried by Art Works and the criteria for including artwork in the exhibit will be:
- Is the artwork technically well done?
- Does the artwork convey the theme without an explanation?
- Does the artwork invoke viewer participation or emotion?
Entry Fees and Commissions:
- The fee for each entry is $7 for Art Works Gallery members, $10 for non-members.
- If you would like to join the gallery, the cost is $36. Then your entries are $7 each. Learn more about being a gallery member.
- There will be cash prizes which will be announced when the exhibit opens on June 26, 2020.
- We will take a 35% commission on any sales of artwork that is on display in the gallery.
- Artwork must be framed with the exception of art on canvas. For art on canvas, edges must be wrapped and finished (no staples showing).
- Artwork must be wired to hang. Of course, this does not apply to sculpture, jewelry, and pottery.
- Images submitted for review must include the frame in the picture.
- If your artwork framing includes a mat, the mat must be clean.
- The back of the artwork must be neat. Do not use masking tape or duct tape on the back of the frame.
- We will post a list of all accepted entries on our website on June 19, 2020.
- Any accepted entries can be delivered to the gallery on June 20 – June 22. Due to the Coronavirus, we are managing the number of people in the gallery at any given time. Due to the Coronavirus, we will have curbside dropoff.
- Artwork that is accepted and delivered to the gallery will be featured on our shopping site (Shop4artwork.com) and will hang in the gallery until July 16, 2020. Any unsold artwork must be picked up by the artist on July 16 – July 19, 2020.
Out of Town Accepted Entries
- If your artwork is accepted and you do not live in the Richmond area and are unable to deliver your artwork to the gallery, we will display your art on our website: ArtWorksRVA.com.
- Because your artwork is not physically in the gallery, we cannot sell it for you. However, we will provide you with any potential buyer’s information. Then you can contact the potential buyer. We take no commissions for art sold under these circumstances.
The Reception, Videos, and Promotions
- We will host a small reception on June 26, 2020, from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. Due to the Coronavirus and restrictions on gatherings, attendance will be limited to 100 guests (50 at 6 p.m. and 50 at 7 p.m). Guests must preregister. We will provide a method to register on our website.
- We will produce a short video of the award-winning entries.
- We will advertise the exhibit through social media to drive traffic to our website and the exhibit page.
- June 18, 2020, midnight. Submission deadline
- June 19, 2020. We will notify you of all accepted entries by posting a list on our website.
- June 20 – June 22. Drop-off your accepted artwork at the gallery
- June 26, 2020, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Opening reception at Art Works Gallery
- July 16, 2020. Show ends
- July 16 – 19, 2020, 12 pm – 6 pm. Pick up any unsold artwork.
A few final things
- Artists can expect a check for any items we sell on the 15th of the month after the date of the sale. (e.g. For an item sold on June 25th, we will send you a check on July 15th)
- The artist by submitting their artwork gives permission to us to display the artwork on our website, Facebook, and other social media and will allow the use of your artwork for promotional purposes for the exhibit.
- Artwork left in the gallery for 90 days, will be donated to a nonprofit organization for their fundraisers.
- Art Works, Inc. takes every precaution to protect and secure the items submitted. Art Works, Inc. does not insure the items against loss, damage, or theft. By submitting your artwork and having it on display in the gallery, you agree to hold Art Works, Inc. harmless and to indemnify Art Works, Inc. against all claims resulting from losses.