This exhibit is a focal point of all Art Works’ openings. It is a juried show with cash prizes and is open to all artists. The theme for this month is printmaking. We invite artists to submit their prints produced by printmaking techniques including woodcut, linocut, collagraph, engraving, etching, aquatint, monotype, lithography, and screen-printing. No photography, please. The artwork must be original (by you) and not a print of original work. In this case, for printmaking, the art must be from the actual printmaking process and not a digital image. Call for entries is September 1 – September 15th.
Artists will be notified by September 16th of accepted or declined entries. You may submit up to 3 entries. The deadline for submissions is September 15th at noon. Since we are on a tight schedule to review the submissions and notify everyone, we are unable to accept entries after the deadline. We cannot accept artwork dropped off at the gallery for review.
About the exhibit:
- Any artists from anywhere may enter this art exhibit.
- Each artist may enter up to 3 pieces of their artwork and upload images for us to review.
- This exhibit will be juried by Jessie Boyland, Art Works Gallery Director and Glenda Kotchish, Art Works Owner. These individuals have many years of experience in the arts including formal schooling and curation.
Entry Fees and Commissions:
- The fee for each entry is $7 for Art Works Gallery members and Art Works studio artist, $10 for non-members.
- September marks the month when gallery memberships renew. If you were a member in 2020-2021, then you will need to renew your membership. Here is a link to renew: Join Gallery
- If you would like to join the gallery, the cost is $36. Then your entries are $7 each. Learn more about being a gallery member.
- We will take a 35% commission on any sales of artwork that is on display in the gallery.
- Artwork must be framed if on paper. We recommend simple black frames. Printmaking on materials such as metal may be unframed however we need a means to hang the piece on the wall, so please make sure there is an adequate mechanism in place.
- Artwork must be wired to hang. Wires must not show above the artwork when hung.
- Submit 2 images for review, one of the artwork, and one in the frame (if framed). Please submit a good quality image of the artwork. Size limitation is 1 MB. If you need to compress your image there are many free tools on the internet to make images smaller.
- If your artwork framing includes a mat, the mat must be clean.
- The back of the artwork must be neat. Do not use masking tape or duct tape on the back of the frame.
- We will post a list of all accepted entries on our website (see dates below)
- Any accepted entries can be delivered to the gallery (see dates below). If you can not deliver the artwork on the dates required, please do not submit your artwork.
- Artwork that is accepted and delivered to the gallery will hang in the gallery until the end of the exhibit. See the date below. Any unsold artwork must be picked up by the artist (see dates below).
Out of Town Accepted Entries
- If you do not live in the Richmond area and are unable to deliver your artwork to the gallery, your work will be displayed on the website but will not be for sale as we will not be in possession of the artwork.
The Reception, Videos, and Promotions
- We will host a reception on September 24th from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- We will produce a short video of the award-winning entries.
- We will advertise the exhibit through social media to drive traffic to our website and the exhibit page.
- September 15 noon – Submission deadline. Do not wait until the last minute to submit your artwork. The form will not be available at 12:01 p.m. on 9/15/2021.
- September 16 – We will notify you of all accepted entries by posting a list on our website and we will send you an email with the link.
- September 17, 18, 19 – Drop-off your accepted artwork at the gallery
- September 24 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Opening reception at Art Works Gallery
- October 15, 2021 – Show ends
- October 15, 17, 18 – Pick up any unsold artwork.
A few final things
- Artists can expect a check for any items we sell on the 15th of the month after the date of the sale. (e.g. For an item sold on August 1st we will send you a check on September 15th .)
- The artist by submitting their artwork gives permission to us to display the artwork on our website, Facebook, and other social media and will allow the use of your artwork for promotional purposes for the exhibit.
- Artwork left in the gallery for 90 days, will be donated to a nonprofit organization for their fundraisers.
- Art Works, Inc. takes every precaution to protect and secure the items submitted. Art Works, Inc. does not insure the items against loss, damage, or theft. By submitting your artwork and having it on display in the gallery, you agree to hold Art Works, Inc. harmless and to indemnify Art Works, Inc. against all claims resulting from losses.
More questions? Click here for more information.
When dropping off or picking up your artwork, you can park in the loading-zone in front of Art Works building at Hull and 4th Street. Put your emergency flashers on and please quickly unload your artwork, so that other artists may use the loading area.